Thursday, March 13, 2014

First Blog Post

I have one main goal for this project: propose alternatives to racist/offensive sports team names and logos.  However, this will take much more work than you would think.  First, I must research the area of the team.  For example, since California experience a lot of earthquakes, I could call a team the California Earthquakes.  This is an important aspect because it makes the team name relevant to the city it is in, and creates more of a connection between the city and the team.  Next, I will design a logo and jerseys to go with the new team name.  Finally, I will post in on my website that I create, providing a brief description to why I made the choices I did.  Adding on to my previously stated goal, I understand it is very difficult to make a difference from my position.  It is unlikely that the owner of one of these major sports teams will see my website and decide to go with my new team name, logo and jersey.  With this being said, I am simply trying to show the everyday person possible solutions to the current problem of racist/offensive sports teams (and display my graphic design work).

I will measure my progress based off of my website that I create.  Since that will be my final product, it will be easy to measure my progress.  I plan on immediately posting to the website when each piece is finished, as a better way to stay organized and measure my progress.  Hopefully by the end of this project, I will have learned a lot, and taught others a lot as well.

2 comments:

  1. It seems like you are attacking a very important issue in today's sports. This is an effective way to bring notice to others about these racist team names. I look forward to learning from your project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. I have always thought of this as a very big problem in our society. It is a problem that is constantly being ignored. By recreating the names of the sports teams you are exposing this issue to society. I am very excited to see how it works out for you. Hopefully it will have an impact on this ongoing conflict. I also liked the website idea because it shows the public how the current names in place are prejudice. Good luck on your project!

    ReplyDelete